Sunday, June 30, 2013

our retired explorer: campground envy

Friday we don't have classes and I didn't have to work, so Bryan and I went exploring. The previous night we attended the first pond reading which is a thinly disguised kegger by a pond behind the barn. It's called a pond reading because an expressive reading of Ellen, a book by the man who gifted Middlebury these grounds, takes place, followed by a professor's choice of readings. This reading was done by Professor Luftig and was alternately funny and moving. I left telling Bryan that it was at that reading that I finally felt like this campus was Bread Loafy. It's such a big campus that you're able to be pretty anonymous as you walk around campus, unlike at the smaller campuses. It has the feel of regular college and I had been missing the community that I had come to associate with Bread Loaf, so it was nice to see it here. I'm looking forward to more of that here. Here is the scintilating reading of Ellen by what I assume are some of the "frat boys" on campus (there is one dorm that throws what everyone calls frat parties): 

Friday we headed out to Silver Lake Campground where a couple in their 70s are hosts. They live in Middlebury and live out at the campground all summer. It's a hike-in campground, though I think they can access their host site via vehicle. Officer Ruth was a little in awe of them living in a tent at their age, but after visiting the campground, it's clear why they choose to live there. It's a lovely little lake in the woods. The sites are much more beautiful than Moosalamoo's and there is a great, wide open picnic area where you can swim. I wish we could move the yurt there, but it's 6/10 of a mile hike in which would be difficult with the yurt. Not to mention that I simply can't see how Moosalamoo would get by without our stellar hosting skills. Most nights the sites occupied are ours, Keith's, and one other by an old man in a van camper.

Here are the sights at Silver Lake:





 That night at work Katelynn and her parents came by and helped me pass the time. Having three Georgians to listen to speak made my evening! I love their accents!

Saturday we explored Sugar Hill Reservoir which evidently is a popular swimming and fishing place. It isn't as nice as Silver Lake, but we passed some time there.
There appear to be some pretty sweet cross country trails here, including one marked with this sign that is identical to signage out at Phil and Kelly's farm in Esko, Minnesota. Curious...






2 comments:

  1. I am bringing my paddle board to visit you...it wants you to go play on it. And Nitsa and Klue can sit on Max's special seat. I tried to take him out for a spin last week and he thought the wave action was not to is liking. I am happy we can go swimming when we visit! And I would also like a campfire and maybe one of Brian's fish for dinner. We will bring the big condo-tent so Max can have his own bedroom.

    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that picture of beige dog with stick & black dog bounding in, ears aflight... afflutter? is adorable and frameable, if not fridgerator-able. Tried to copy/save it, cant figure out yet on new tablet.

    ReplyDelete