Wednesday, July 3, 2013

soggy campground tales

My shoes, what were once beautiful books, my folders, my clothing, the yurt floor, and my brain are soggy and wet this morning. As my beloved and ever-helpful mother reminded me, all adventures have good and bad (true) and I did complain one time, in one blog last year about missing water in Santa Fe. Oh, the irony. Serves me right (my kind mother did not say that last part).

Since the campground is perpetually nearly empty, I haven't many campground host stories to tell, but I do have one...

Tuesday night in the evening a group of backpackers triumphantly marched into Moosalamoo proclaiming, "We're almost there. For real."

When I drove out of the campground to head back to campus for dinner (very strange General Tso's chicken), I checked in with them, made sure they knew who was the head honcho 'round these parts, etc. I wasn't wearing my hat though...

Anywho, they were from Camp Kewaydin, and as their fearless leader Cameron explained, they were supposed to be hiking The Long Trail, "Vermont's footpath in the wilderness," and got "terribly, horribly" lost. I guess they figured out where they were and couldn't get back on the TLT, so they located Moosalamoo and called it home for the night. I gave my condolences and off I went.

Yesterday morning as I'm trying to ingest coffee to return to the land of the living, here comes Cameron to our door. This is a first. Evidently, terribly lost but now found camp group was once again in peril with a very sick co-leader. The stomach flu has hit his co-leader but all he wants to know is if we get cell service. Of course we don't, for about 15 miles. He explains that their van is coming to get them but he is on day 2 of a 9 day Long Trail trip and without a co-leader, he can't go on with the boys. Sad story, eh?

I walked over later to make sure the Israel, the co-leader, didn't need to see a doctor in town and in came their van to pick them up. I'll never know their fate, nor will you. Did they wait for another leader to arrive or did they abandon the trip of the summer? Anti-climactic, eh?

One more thing: a Minnesotan was at the campground last night too. Bryan played Minnesota nice with him.


1 comment:

  1. I love your sense of humor...might it borrow it today as I think I need it badly. It's what sees us through the mucky muck soggy mind-numbing madness.

    We like Bryan's Minnesota Nice and happy he shared it with other campers. You two make a great team!

    Love to All - Mom

    ReplyDelete