Wednesday, July 10, 2013

creatures in the night

We've been having a visitor at Moosalamoo as of late. The other day I found one of the garbage containers ripped open. The locked hinge wasn't helping much seeing as it was no longer attached to the door. I cleaned up the garbage that hadn't been dragged back into the woods, put the door back in place, and hinged the top and bottom parts shut. The last time the rangers emptied it they didn't use the sliding bolts on the top and bottom so an animal was able to get enough leverage to rip it open and make way with their prize. Bryan seemed to think a raccoon could have done it, but I, with my great big imagination believed it to be a bear. Keith did have a two-bear sighting on the road up here, so that reinforced my belief.


Last night I woke in the middle of the night to banging sounds and when we drove by this morning, not  to be dismayed by the sliding bolts having been fastened, an animal had ripped open the top of the garbage container. They either gave up or it was something small and they got in because the opening was not large. Time to call the rangers.

In other news, tonight is the scholarship recognition reception and a talk by Bill McKibben, environmentalist and activist. Tomorrow morning I share my Amazon research with the class and it's due the next day. Friday a short paper is due for Finance class. I wrote it about Edith Wharton's portrayal of the newly rich ("nouveau riche") in her novel The House of Mirth. It's a good read, people. The book, not my paper.

After that, it's a continuance of the ridiculously close reading I have to do every night in order to have something to say in Male, Female, Other, reading journals for Finance, and then a 12-15 page paper for each. Ideas, anyone? Oh, and we had this visitor in the computer lab the other day:

Any info you want to give us, John? I heard it's a luna moth.
Also, in the best news EVER, Mom and Dad Freyberg got a new puppy!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, it's worthy of that many exclamation points. I've been waiting for this day to come and now we can't even squeeze her for a long while. Sad story. She's an adorable golden/yellow lab mix, so think of your favorite puppy calendar. She looks like that chubby little yellow pup on it.

2 comments:

  1. John said it is a luna moth, silkworm...I want to see the Freyberg puppy!

    John wants to post but everytime it doesn't save it...will need to have lessons on that for JRM too.

    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew ew ew. Get. It. Away. The flier not the puppy.

    ReplyDelete